#ARTISTonACK is made possible by the Artists Association of Nantucket. Currently celebrating its 70th year, AAN is opening the island’s first Visual Arts Center at 24 Amelia Drive and ushering in a new era for the arts and art education on Nantucket. Established by a small group of island artists in 1945, AAN creates a vibrant arts community by promoting, supporting, and encouraging Nantucket artists; by providing educational programs in the arts; and by preserving the legacy of Nantucket artists.
PAUL la PAGLIA
I often believe that you best get to know someone while watching them in their most comfortable spaces… so visiting Nantucket artist Paul in his home (which doubles as his studio) was a beautiful way to get introduced to this fascinating artist. One of my most favorite things about seeing the way Paul ticks, is exploring his extraordinary home… both indoor and out have almost 100% been decorated by the Madaket Mall.
The home is just as much a work of art as his paintings! Below, enjoy our latest piece with the AAN as we give your our May #ARTISTonACK!
1. Where’s your hometown?
New York City
2. How many years on ACK?
3. How do you describe your art style
Impressionism & Post Impressionism
4. How did you get your start?
Attending a music and art high school at the age of 14.
5. Why did you choose Nantucket?
the beauty and the solace of the terrain
6. Who Inspires you?
Picasso, Van Gogh amongst many other artists
7. What’s your favorite art lesson?
life drawing… it’s most important.
8. Where do you do your best work?
At Night, During the Fall and Winter on Nantucket
9. What is your signature style?
10. What are you working on right now?
Still-Life and Landscapes
11. What’s one piece of advice you’d give aspiring artists?
You must work at your craft.
12. What’s your life motto?
a handful of Nantucket questions!
1. What’s your favorite Nantucket season? Spring
2. What’s your favorite Nantucket beach? Not a beach person.
3. What’s your favorite Nantucket restaurant? The one I am eating at. (note: he did mention when he’s eating at Straight Wharf, that’s his favorite restaurant at that moment.)
4. What’s your favorite Nantucket summer event? The Artists Association Art & Auction Gala.
5. Where is your favorite place to relax and unwind? Paris
get to know Paul La Paglia better! Follow him on facebook here!