#ARTISTonACK is made possible by the Artists Association of Nantucket. Currently celebrating its 70th year, AAN is opening the island’s first Visual Arts Center at 24 Amelia Drive and ushering in a new era for the arts and art education on Nantucket. Established by a small group of island artists in 1945, AAN creates a vibrant arts community by promoting, supporting, and encouraging Nantucket artists; by providing educational programs in the arts; and by preserving the legacy of Nantucket artists.
OUR JUNE #ARTISTonACK
21 Questions with an Island Artist!
The Anchored Artist
1. Hometown? Bedford, NY
2. Years on ACK? Vacation years: 20… Year Round Resident: 4
3. Art Style? Always changing!
4. How did you get your start? My very first private art teacher, Barbara Herzberg followed by many wonderful professors in college.
5. Who inspires you? My art students inspire me every day!
6. Why Nantucket? My fabulous students and friends on the island who I share my artistic passion with.
7. Where did you go to school? I graduated with a degree in Studio Art and Art History from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts.
9. Who is your favorite artist? My two all time favorite artists are Wolf Kahn and Mary Cassatt. My first art teacher gave me a box of Wolf Kahn pastels which sparked my love for color. I first learned about Mary Cassatt during my American art history class at Wheaton. Mary Cassatt painted the most exquisite sentimental moments shared between mothers and their children.
10. Where do you work your best? I work best in my little studio at home.
14. What’s your life motto? “Remember to laugh out loud and make your own luck.”
16. What is ART in your own words? Art is how I express myself and how I see the world.
A few Nantucket questions…
1. What’s your favorite season?
2. What’s your favorite beach?
3. What’s your favorite restaurant?
4. What’s your favorite summer event?